I needed a userfriendly place to keep my recipes, you know, the ones that I had cut out from magazines, learnt from my mother, eaten in restaurants and at dinner with friends. What better way then to write them down in a blog; I have my own easily accessible database and I can share them with you. Apart from cooking food I do a weekly dinner menu for our little family including a shopping list of all ingredients. Stay tuned as I get myself sorted to post these on a weekly basis.


Thank you,

Josefin Aldell

Friday 6 January 2012

I am back! With fishcakes and remoulade sauce!

Hello! Happy New Year 2012! We've spent, what feels like, a long holiday in Sweden over Christmas and New Year's. It's been both intense (skiing with 18 relatives) and relaxing (the four of us in our house in the south of Sweden). Right now we are enjoying a few days of calmness to get ready to take on London again!

Our skiing adventure over Christmas was fantastic but after a week of restaurant food I was relieved to be back in the kitchen cooking. The kids lived off meat balls, pancakes, pizza and McDonald's (ouch!) so a fish dish was imminent. This one was greatly appreciated among small and large people around the table. For the more reluctant ones there was the homemade remoulade sauce (for non-scandi's that's like a tartar sauce) to enhance the experience. It is a really easy fish recipe which can be varied with lots of different flavours but as I also made a remoulade sauce I kept it simple today. So here goes: 

Fishcakes
Ingredients (for 4 people)
300g white fish (haddock or cod)
1 egg
a couple of cooked potatoes (peeled and mashed)
1 1/2 dl breadcrumbs (panko preferred as always)
1/2 tsp salt
butter to fry

Preparation
Cut the fish in smaller sizes and whiz to fish mince in a food processor. Then add the egg, potatoes, 1/2 dl of breadcrumbs and salt. Mix and then shape into round fishcakes. 

Put the rest of the breadcrumbs in a shallow plate and turn the fishcakes in the breadcrumbs until covered. Heat the butter in a frying pan and then cook the fishcakes four minutes on one side, turn once, reduce heat and cook for a couple of more minutes. Recipe for remoulade sauce further down! 










Remoulade Sauce
Ingredients
(This makes quite a big portion but it keeps for a few weeks in the fridge)
1 1/2 dl mayonnaise
1 carrot, cut into juliennes (I use my new mandolin!)
1/2 dl finely chopped pickled cucumbers
1 tbsp capers
1 tbsp finely chopped pickled onions
1 tsp lemon juice
1 pinch of salt
1/2 tsp curry powder

Preparation
Mix everything and leave in the fridge for an hour so that all the flavours blend nicely.

I served the fishcakes and remoulade sauce with oven-baked sweet potatoes and cooked cauliflower.



No comments:

Post a Comment